Many children dream about their own robot, and the robot, which can be assembled by themselves will be even more interesting to them. Passion for design and programming develop useful skills in children.
Robotics is a very popular area for useful leisure time. Classes are not limited to the construction of mechanisms. The program includes the history of mechanics and robotics, electronics, physics and mathematics.
What is robotics?
Robotics science deals with automation and technical systems development and represents synthesis of electronics, mechanics, programming and mathematics.
This term was coined by the writer Karel Chapek. These were the main characters of the play “R.U.R.”, which he wrote in 1920. A poster in the factory director’s office said that Rossum’s robots were the cheapest work.
Almost 100 years later, they really made production cheaper and even pushed a man away from work: chat bots, service, unmanned cars and trains. Obviously, robots have ceased to be fantastic and are taking on the most routine and dangerous duties.
In the developed countries they work instead of the person in many spheres, and without the help of the 3D-printer or a drone it is difficult to present performance of many tasks. Robotics and smart things become daily helpers in many areas, and kids like to create and invent.
Advantages of robotics
Every additional activity and activity of children is beneficial for them.
Machine design and programming is no exception and babies develop useful skills:
- Logic combining details and following instructions helps them to think logically, form and develop it.
- Creative abilities experiments with technology have an impact on the ability of the baby to create and create, creativity and knowledge will help if he wants to work with robotics, and this market is developing dynamically.
- Decision making the final result depends on many small decisions of the child, so you will have to be more careful and judicious, learn to analyze your actions and make decisions that will contribute to the result.
- Teamwork children are involved in the group and distribute the work among themselves, and effective teamwork has a positive impact on the outcome of the work.
- Practical application of theoretical knowledge children are given the opportunity to apply their school’s knowledge of mathematics and physics in practice and to gain a better understanding of the importance of fractions and sinuses.
- Engineering thinking robot design and programming shapes engineering thinking, and children learn to design.
- Understanding the exact sciences the child will be able to understand the exact sciences and easily enter a technical institute or learn how to program.
Robotics at SMART – IT school
Each course is designed for children of different ages.
For kids 4-6 years of age it is important to assemble the robot from the details of the designer, correctly select elements and connect mechanisms. Children learn the types of movements, get acquainted with the design and form the engineering thinking.
Children develop fine motor skills and attention and become more diligent. Kids are engaged in the form of a game and work with the simplest designer Lego WeDo and get the basic idea of robotics.
From the age of 8 children already know about the percentage and decimal fractions, so it is easier for them to create robots, and they are interested in algorithms, visual programming, numerous sensors and controllers. Lego WeDo and more complex designer Lego Mindstorms are used in the lessons.
At the age of 11, the guys create a robot sumo wrestler, compete with each other, begin to design the robot on their own ideas and attend festivals with their own designs. They use Lego Mindstorms.
At the age of 13, the guys get complex tasks, they operate with many concepts from the school curriculum, acquire skills in programming microcontrollers and work in the Scratch4Arduino visual programming environment.
Robotics is interesting for boys and girls. They study the schematics with great interest and assemble the robot from the details, program its movements, calculate the variants of moves and try to improve their calculations.
The attitude of parents to robotics is quite twofold: some adults consider it completely disconnected from life or tied only to the designer, with which the child can play at home.
Robotics does not belong to the field of study, on the contrary, in the classroom children learn the basics of computer science, computer literacy and programming, develop fine motor skills and understand the principles of various mechanisms: gears, caterpillars, motion sensors. They use mathematical formulas and calculations when assembling a robot or calculating its movements.
You can check your child’s interest in robotics at a master class at an IT school or training center for children. It is not necessary to buy an expensive designer, which is difficult to assemble without the advice of a teacher.
As a rule, the designer has only one model, and the IT school has several latest robot models. The teacher explains to children what works and how, and what the sequence of the robot assembly is. Teachers notice that children and adults are involved in the process and they are interested in building and programming robots.
We have noticed that our students study better at school, their marks at school increase, and some even became participants of competitions and contests on programming, mathematics, economics.